We are approaching the end of the year and the beginning of 2011.
As humans and business owners, we imbue this point in time with probably more significance than it deserves. After all, wouldn’t it make more sense to start a year based on some real astrological event – like the summer or winter solstice?
Having said that, while we are out celebrating the holiday season, this also tends to be a time of reflection and planning for the future. As individuals we may set “New Year’s Resolutions” around personal goals for 2011.
As a business it is a good time to review and ensure that:
- your ultimate business destination is still the correct target;
- your strategies (embodied in your strategic plan – you do have a strategic plan don’t you?) are still the right ones to reach your target;
- your tactics (short term goals & action plans) for the upcoming business cycle are aligned with your strategies;
- your people (employees, consultants, suppliers) understand their role in executing the tactics and how that relates to the business’ strategies and ultimate destination;
- you have the right resources available to execute your plans.
Of course, it is a good idea to review the above on a regular basis and not just do it because it is the end of the year. For your business it might make more sense to do it at other times of the year – because of the rythym/cycle of your business.
Start by talking things over with your advisors and, if you have one, your Board of Directors.
Take advantage of offers like mine – between now and January 15, 2011 you can sign up for a free 30 minute consultation about your plans for next year.
Include your team in your discussions – they can see things that you don’t.
Listen to what others have to say and assimilate those comments into a 360o view of your business.
And don’t forget to take some time to have fun during the holiday season!!
Happy holidays to you and yours, and may 2011 bring you success beyond your dreams.